Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An Honest Explantion From A Duck Who Earned It Square

Below is a selection from the May 1994 Uncle Scrooge Adventures comic. I used to read Duck comics when I was younger. The adventures were fun and the humor was dry. I always liked Scrooge the most. Recently, I found my old stack and read what seemed pretty poignant considering the current state of economic affairs in the US.

The excerpt below is taken from the wikipedia entry for Uncle Scrooge.
Carl Barks gave Scrooge a definite set of ethics that was in tone with the time he was supposed to have made his fortune. The robber barons and industrialists of the 1890–1920 era were McDuck's competition as he earned his fortune. Scrooge proudly asserts "I made it by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" It is obvious that Barks's creation is averse to dishonesty in the pursuit of money.
Note that the author of the strip I've included is unknown, it could be Barks, but I don't think it is. Regardless, I hope you enjoy.

-Z



4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I linked it to my political cartoon blog and commented on it here:

    http://baloocartoons.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. our currency is a medium of exchange and has value on because our government says it has value...how could the economy expand if the value of the dollar had instrinsic value? the stores of gold would have long ago been depleted...would you rather live in a cabin? thanks for an excellent post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mike, this comic was published originally while the dollar was still on a gold standard. however, the concept of inflation remains the same be it money backed by gold or backed by GDP.

    ReplyDelete